limpin' ain't easy

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mommy wow! I'm a big kid now.

I'm back in America, which is pretty exciting. I did get a little verklempt when the plane was landing and I saw Lady Liberty welcoming me home. Then, I had to wait 30 minutes at passport control which promptly made me want to go back to the EU.

However, I had my internship to look forward to so I stayed. Today was my orientation. After a bus ride that took 30 minutes to go three miles, I hopped on a train, then a subway to make it to my meeting. I was 10 minutes early, and went straight up to the 37th floor. Turns out I went 30 floors too high, so I wound up being 10 minutes late. Go figure.

I got my ID, in which my hair is enormous but that's to be expected with me. I feel so official and cool, although I really hope my nervous nightmares come to an end after my real first day tomorrow. Last night I dreamt that I was assigned to manage and do maintenance on a bunch of different pools. Someone said to me, "okay, now you have to take care of the XC241, the HT99, the PP491," as though there were model numbers for different kinds of pools. Also, this internship is not related to aquatics! I woke up around 2am with an extreme tummy ache. It was the kind where you don't have to throw up but you feel like if you did, you'd feel better. I was pretty sure I was going to die. After lying prostrate on my floor for about 10 minutes, reminding myself that being nervous is good ("it means you care, E, that you're going to work hard!") I also reminded myself that I had Chinese for dinner. I felt better after that.

So tomorrow is the first day. Wish me luck!

No comments: